Sunday 28 November 2010

Night 7 - Cupcakes, Marc Jacobs and Booze. Oh my!

Flying high from my rencontre with Johnny Fontane and escaping the Italian-American charm with all my decency and honour intact I continued the journey to seek out the Magnolia Bakery for a decent calorie-packed snack. Renowned for having the 'best cupcakes in New York', according to the ever-so accurate Carrie Bradshaw, I knew I could not leave the Big Apple without taking a big bite out of those tempting little icing-topped devils. Already having memorised most of the New York Subway system I hopped aboard the 1 Uptown train to Bleecker Street.



Bleecker Street, I would say is probably one of the more trendier areas of New York. Whilst the Upper East Side is impeccably clean (by city standards of course), the Bleecker Street area was a little more rough around the edges. Not rough like Harlem or anything, but let's just say the Shoreditch of New York sans the frame-wearing twats. After slipping in and out of Bleecker Street's many boutiques and vintage shops I finally found the Magnolia Bakery. Having had sunk my teeth into pastry heaven, my day was perfected by looking up and seeing a Marc Jacobs across the road. Of course being a student and being very very bad at managing my finances I had to pry myself away from the Marc Jacobs boutique and visit Bookmarc across the road. This shop is a perfect place to get presents for female friends or family because it's Marc Jacob's merchandise for decent prices. By decent prices I mean you won't have to shell out 100 bucks for a pair of tights or something. Bookmarc mainly holds books, hence the name, for aspiring photographers, designers and others in the fashion or media biz, but it also stocks cute little bags, rucksacks and Marc Jacobs stationary and stuff. If that wasn't enough to convince you to check out the store, maybe the insanely handsome shop keepers will.

Now onwards to the more interesting part of the day/night - Manhattan Thursdays. After cabbing it back to my homegirl's Manhattan loft in John and Broadway, I quickly dumped my shopping and popped open a few bottles of wine with the ladies for some pre-Piano's drinks. Now you'll have to excuse me for the many references to Sex and the City, but living in a loft with 4 other New Yorker women just resonates SATC in my mind over and over. After conversing about our various love lives over a few glasses of Pinot Grigio it was time to slip on our dancing shoes for a proper Manhattan night out in Piano's Bar on Ludlow Street.




We may have not left the house till midnight but the party was in full swing till the early hours of the morning. The drinks were cheap, the music was cheesy, and the company was great and unlike the cheap club-life of London there was a distinct lack of street fights and vomit. Brilliant. To add the cherry on the sundae, the girls and I were promptly joined by a Ferragamo model and his mates followed swiftly by the beautiful Marc Jacobs shopkeeper/models. In deep conversation with one of the Marc Jacobs party I was pleasantly surprised to realise that this man was not only gorgeous and stylish but ridiculously clever as well.
LET'S HEAR IT FOR NEW YORK.

No comments:

Post a Comment