Wednesday 4 August 2010

dream a little dream of me



The credits were rolling, people were leaving but I couldn't budge out of sheer awe. Because Inception's release was two weeks after the premier in London, I had already read a few criticisms about Nolan's latest masterpiece. Although not all the press was positive I was nevertheless determined to sit through 3 hours of Leo DiCaprio. Now having seen the film, all I can say was that I sat there agape at the cinematic spectacle taking place before my eyes. It may have perhaps been because of Leo's intense eyes, or Joseph Gordon Levitt's beautiful face, or Cillian Murphy's gorgeous jawline. Or perhaps it may have been because the likes of Michael Caine and Leo DiCaprio were gracing the corridors of UCL's library. But most likely, I was enthralled by the plot, the effects and the outstanding performances of all the actors.

Sleeping, in spite of mountains of research, still remains one of life's mysteries. The more intriguing side of sleep are one's dreams. Why are they there? What purpose do they serve? Do they mean anything? After 3 years of studying Psychology I can only say that I am still none the wiser. Inception explores the phenomenon of dreams and how they are linked to our subconscious. What I think makes the plot of this film so effective is the fact that it addresses man's vulnerability and susceptibility in a sleeping state and nothing is more intriguing to us than the techniques of psychological manipulation. Like a dream, Nolan creates a labyrinth for the spectator's mind using layers of dreams or levels of the subconscious. The characters, struggling to hold their grasp on reality add another touch of mystery and intensity to the film. All in all I think Inception was definitely worth the wait and I cannot recommend it more, however I do have to say that Toy Story 3 is still a little higher in my books, but that's probably just my inner child speaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment