Thursday 9 September 2010

Expedia sucks.



I'm afraid this post is going to be a little bit of a rant, but to justify this let me first tell you my story fair followers. My parents decided to give me a trip to NYC as a graduation trip and as a reward for my good marks. Ecstatic about the offer I unfortunately turned to expedia.de to find flights that wouldn't destroy my parents' finances... wrong move. At first I selected the cheapest flight from Vienna to Newark and entered my credit card and passenger details as required. After submitting my information the website gave me an error message saying the transaction could not be processed, so with the encouragement of my mother by my side I gave it another go. This time all appeared to go well - the transaction went through and I received a confirmation email detailing the flight times, booking references etc.

Now this is where the nightmare begins. In the midst of my preparations for my one-woman journey across the Atlantic I was worried to receive an email from Expedia detailing that I had in fact made 2 bookings to Newark and would have to cancel one of the bookings for a fee of €476!! Talk about cheeky, greedy and all-around repulsive. Alarmed, I phoned their office in Germany to explain my situation and bring their attention to their error. All they could tell me was that I did have to cancel one of the flights or be charged for both, but would receive €100 compensation. €100 from €1000 that you nicked off me? Yeah right. Still in the height of my battle against the incompetency of Expedia I wonder how on Earth they could continue with a booking using the same card, the same passenger details on the same trip at the same time?! Would I really want to go on holiday with a clone of myself? Not only that but it appears that the second booking they were gracious enough to charge me for only flies out from London to Newark instead of Vienna-London-Newark. I guess I could teleport to London, ain't that right Expedia?

Well after a little bit of research on Crapedia, I did find it consoling that there have been many unfortunate others who have been duped by Expedia. Check it out. I highly recommend to avoid using them unless you feel like throwing away a little, no sorry, A LOT of money.

1 comment:

  1. EXPEDIA SUCKS !! THEY DO NOT HONOR THEIR “LOW PRICE GUARANTEE !!
    I booked a room in Las Vegas Nv. at the Golden Nugget with Expedia for a price of $161.37, and then seen it on the Golden Nugget website for $128.91.
    I filed my low price guarantee within 1 hour of booking through Expedia, (your required to do it within 24 hours) and it gave me a response saying “Thank you for your email, you will receive a response within 48 hours”. Since I did not get a follow up e-mail in my inbox, I waited for a few hours, and refilled my complaint to make sure they got it. I again never received an e-mail response so I thought I would wait for the 48 hours and see what happens. After I waited the 48 hours and never received any communication from Expedia, I e-mailed them to see what was going on with my filing. Again waited another day or two with no response, so I called them to ask what was going on. (actually you put in your number they call you back) I talked with the operator, (very hard to understand) and they told me that I never filed anything with them. I explained that I not only filed it once, but I filed it again to make sure, and followed up with a e-mail. After waiting on hold for another 30 minutes, they came back and said that they found it and they had Good News, they were going to give me the $50.00 credit, and $8.00 for the difference between the two prices, I said that was great, but the difference was not $8.00 but it was $32.46, and I requested that they refund the proper amount, when I was put on Hold again…for another 15 minute. They returned to the line, and told me that he was wrong, and that they have my filing but that they have not yet made a decision on it as of yet..(so the story changed again) That I would receive a response within 24 hours, so I got a case number, and waited. After 2 more days with no response at all from them, I called them again, telling them that I was not happy, and expected that they straighten out this situation while I was on the phone, and they assured me that they would, then put me on hold. After waiting on hold for 15 minutes, she came back and said…”Brian, Brian?” and I responded twice, then she hung up. I got back on the phone with them yet again, and they said please hold, and hung up again !! This went on for about 4 more phone calls, continuing to hang up on me, when finally I just ask for a supervisor. On hold again for another 10 minutes, she finally came to the phone, and proceeded to tell me that I never filed a claim, and that they could not help me. I proceeded to tell her that I not only filed it once but twice, and she continued with her story about me not filing a claim. I gave her my “Case Number” to show her that I have been on the phone with them many times, and she put me on hold again, and after another 10 minutes, she came back and said that she actually did find my claim but that it was too late since it was now a week later. I told her I filed it within 1 hour of booking with them and insisted she do more research on the matter, then back on hold. After another 15 minutes, she returned and said that I indeed filed it in a timely manner, but more bad news, I used a $50.00 credit that I had with them (Expedia) and that made the price cheaper, so there would be NO REFUND OR $50.00 COUPON. I was pretty upset, telling her that they cannot punish me for using MY CREDIT (that belong to me !) to help pay for the trip to their advantage to make the price lower, virtually punishing me for using my credit, and she insisted that the price was lower, no matter how it got there, so no low price guarantee. I kept on insisting for another 5 minutes that they had to honor their policy, and she finally said that they would give me the $50.00 coupon but would not be issuing a price match refund. Having been on the phone with them many many times for hours, I had enough (their whole plan to begin with) and accepted the coupon, without the refund price difference.
    EXPEDIA SUCKS !! DO NOT USE THEM !!

    ReplyDelete